Sustainable Streets: Creating Livable Communities
Founded in 1886, GAF is the largest roofing manufacturer in North America. As the industry leader with over $3 billion in sales, GAF proudly offers a comprehensive portfolio of award-winning, innovative roofing products for both steep-slope and commercial properties. Supported by an extensive national network of factory-certified contractors, GAF has built its reputation — and its success — on its steadfast commitment to Advanced Quality, Industry Expertise, Simple Solutions, and helping commercial property owners and designers reduce energy consumption.
- List the 5 components of sustainable streets.
- Describe the 3 considerations for choosing pavements: Recyclability, Carbon Footprint, Heat Island Effect.
- Explain strategies for mitigating heat island effect.
- Express how pavement fits into different green building rating systems and environmental concerns including VOCs, Energy, LEED, and Greenroads.
- Describe different traffic calming methodologies and explain the final solution to meeting these goals.
- Give examples on how walking path and pavement design can bring communities together to create a move livable environment and a better quality neighborhood.
- Illustrate NYC’s Sustainable Streets Plan and describe how this is helping to create a better pedestrian and cyclist environment in an urban setting.